Ombre Painted Linen Closet

posted on: Thursday, June 13, 2013

So this little closet project is actually the very first thing I did at the Franklin Park house.  When we first closed on the house and the whole thing was totally empty, actually starting the process of working on it felt overwhelming and a little paralyzing.  There was just so much to do!  And so I picked the smallest space and started there.


I wish that I had a before picture of this little project, but honestly I just intended to give the inside of our linen closet a fresh coat of paint.  I never imagined it would turn out so cute.  To give you a frame of reference for imagination purposes, the linen closet was originally covered in old dingy yellowed wallpaper and the shelves were a dark wood.

I started painting the closet in Benjamin Moore's Pacific Seal Teal mostly because I was considering the color for another project.  When the small tester pot ran out, rather than go get more of the same color I decided to pick of a few different colors on the same paint color strip and hence the ombre closet was born.


A few notes on how I organized our linen closet...
First of all this is the very first linen closet I have ever had outside of my family home growing up, so it is pretty exciting for me (and that is a true tell at how old and boring I seem to be getting).  Painting and organizing this closet turned into quite a proud little project for me.


Extra quilts, blankets, pillows, etc at the very top. As we will only need to access these on occasion, they can go on that higher, harder to reach top shelf.  Next we have a shelf dedicated to all of our misc extra bath items and toiletries of which, as you can see, we apparently only have back-up cotton balls.  I'm not used to stocking a whole linen closet so I guess I just have what we need on hand which we keep in our actual bathroom for every day use.  But this is where we will keep items like extra toothbrushes and toothpaste, shampoo, etc.  You know, those things you keep extra of in order to be a good host if you have overnight guests, and so you never run out of shampoo again.  Next shelf down we have all of our bath towels, hand towels and washcloths all cutely rolled up.  On the bottom shelf we have a storage bin for keeping toilet paper and our extra sets of sheets.  I wrapped our sheets furoshiki style to help contain all pieces to a set in one cute little package.  And at the very bottom on the floor, I have a simple little laundry basket for holding used sheets and towels until laundry time.  It's like automatic laundry sorting!

This project was pretty quick and easy but gives me such joy every time I open that door!  And with everything organized so neatly it is very easy to find what you are looking for and see what you need more of.  Win-win-win!

linen closet organization

Shop my linen closet:
rugby stripe bins, the container store / glass canisters, crate & barrel / neoprene bin, the container store / wire baskets, crate & barrel / woven laundry basket, crate & barrel

3 comments:

  1. This is adorable, I love those colours. I want an ombre closet now... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlotte! It was s fun little project!

      Delete
  2. How very cute!!
    You can never have too many back-up cotton balls

    ReplyDelete

Something Fancy All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger